Hiring a home addition contractor does not have to be a painstaking process. But it should be a thorough one. There are things you, as a homeowner, can do to expedite and streamline each step in realizing your dream home.
Here are just five things to consider:
- Set your goals. Before you even pick up the phone, map out the ideal addition you would envision for your home – from a very basic outline to the most intricate detail, comfort, or amenity. This will ultimately provide a good jumping-off point for future blueprints. If you experience difficulty putting your ideas down on paper, no problem! Verbally expressing your desires to an experienced design-build remodeler will suffice for the budgeting stage.
- Make sure your contractor is on the level. Look for red flags. Low bids may be attempts at masking subpar materials, inexperience, or both. Also check for credentials and certifications from trade organizations. At the very least, this signifies that a prospect has done his or her due diligence and follows criteria set forth by industry leaders. Finally, make absolutely certain they are bonded and insured, in the event of an unfortunate incident.
- Pick your go-between. To avoid unnecessary confusion, decide who in your family will communicate with the contractor on a daily basis.
- Get everything in writing. A typical home addition contract should include the following:
- Contractor license number
- Description of project
- Total cost
- Key contact information
- Prepare the work site in advance. Within reason, do what you can to facilitate a streamlined workspace for your contractor and his or her crew. Temporarily relocate any valuables or fragile items and allow space for the on-site storage of tools and supplies. To prevent dust and debris from floating throughout your home, the contractor will seal any access points that are not being used with plastic sheeting and painter’s tape.
If you’re hiring a home addition contractor, Cossentino and Sons Remodeling & Design, Inc., is passionate about delivering results that not only improve your home, but your home’s value, as well. As a family owned business, attention to detail and personalized customer service are our driving forces, and our team does its best to stay on schedule so your family can return to its routines as swiftly as possible. Find out how we can help you get your remodel started by calling (410) 442-0000. Examples of our work can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.