Making the decision to update your kitchen was difficult enough. But with so many professionals vying for your project dollars, how can you fairly – and accurately – compare between companies and decide on a kitchen remodel contractor?
Follow these simple steps to make an informed decision.
- Create a list. Compile a list of prospects – aim for at least 2-3 local companies. Do your research. Ask friends and colleagues for recommendations. Read reviews. Google it.
- Make the rounds. Refine your list to include only those contractors specializing in kitchen remodels. Bathroom remodelers and exterior renovators need not apply. Then get started comparing and contrasting. Review recent projects, but also look back at jobs from the previous year, if not further. You’ll want to review a wide range of projects to get a good idea of the contractor’s style and skill. Before & after photos are imperative. One or two blurry images should raise a red flag.
- Are they licensed? Asking if your prospects are appropriately licensed by the Maryland Home Improvement Commission shouldn’t thin the herd, but it probably will. One thing to note: the lower the license number, the more years the contractor has been in business.
- Ask for references. Any kitchen remodeling contractor worth his or her salt will gladly provide you with a list of 10 or so references that you can contact for testimonials. Our advice? Select a few newer projects and a few older projects and let your fingers do the walking. Take extensive notes during calls. If possible, ask if it would be possible to visit certain homes to see the results firsthand. Some topics to cover during your call should be:
- Cleanliness of work site
- Attention to Detail
- Price the job: After taking these preliminary steps, compare your estimates. Make sure you are you comparing apples to apples when reviewing the bottom line. While it’s difficult not to leap at the lowest bid, its typically not prudent. Consider your goals and find the contractor whose style and suggestions match it best. Keep in mind: a reputable contractor will not pressure you into signing anything and will give you ample space to make your decision.
Cossentino and Sons Remodeling & Design, Inc., is a family owned business that understands the kitchen is the heart of the home; a place where family and friends congregate and enjoy each other’s company. Cossentino & Sons pays meticulous attention to detail and does their best to stay on schedule so your family can return to its normal routine as quickly as possible. If you’re trying to decide on a kitchen remodel contractor, we can help. Visit us online or call (410) 442-0000. Examples of our kitchen remodels can be found on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.